As a German teacher, I must admit that I do not use spreadsheets in my curriculum. I haven't used excel since college, so it was refreshing that I was able to create the recipe assignment with relative ease. And, because it was in google docs, I added a friend as a collaborator, so I did not have to email him the recipe!
I have yet to do the nettrecker assignment, but I have been brainstorming ways to use spreadsheets in my class. I think that I could take advantage of the layout, and have students conjugate verbs in columns. I could also use them as a way for students to organize new vocabulary words, and connect those new words with words they already know. I will have to do a little more thinking about other ways to incorporate spreadsheets in my curriculum.
I found chapter 5 to be interesting. I know that we want to encourage creativity in our students, but sometimes that creativity is stifled in my classroom. There is always so much material to cover, and sometimes, I feel that such open-ended assignments can hinder our progression in course material. So, I will need to take a step back and think of how I can encourage more creativity in my classroom.
My seventh graders will be starting a large culture project in the next month, and I decided to have them collaborate on the project with someone in a different hour. It will be very interesting to see if they are able to collaborate, and if they can do that all online, through the wiki!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Erica, Thanks for your comments. I do read a lot of spreadsheets in PE and in fact will start to use them and practice with them and get better. I wish I could help you and give you some ideas for your German class. I'm not sure how to do that other than using them for attendance and assessment.
ReplyDeleteGood thoughts on spreadsheet here and in your paper. I wonder if you have looked at
ReplyDeletehttp://www.languages-ict.org.uk/downloads/technology/spreadsheets_what_are.pdf
Thanks for your thoughts