Sunday, July 18, 2010

599: Post 2

The goal of my culminating project was to use technology to increase student-student, student-teacher, and teacher-teacher collaboration where I teach. Why I thought this was a realistic goal, I have no idea. After much frustration, I realized that I was going to have to break down the topic into much more manageable parts.

So, I decided to focus on Google Apps for Education. Students come into the high school knowing how to use this powerful tool, but many high school teachers in the building are not even aware it exists. My new project is also going to include ideas as to how social studies teachers can increase collaboration through technology. Breaking my huge goal into smaller pieces makes it much more manageable.

The first step for me was to make screencasts on different aspects of Google Docs. I way underestimated how long it would take to create the screencasts. How can a short 3 minute video take more than ten times that long to make? And, when I would keep recording them over and over to make them perfect, they began to sound rehearsed. So, what was worse? A less than perfect video, or one that sounds like a robot?

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes... the old "it takes 10 hours to create 10 minutes" in the video world. I kept doing the same thing when I did my first screencast. One option is to have a list or outline of what you're going to say rather than a script. Then you may not sound quite so rehearsed on the 4th take of a screencast. I personally believe that perfection is a great goal and shows that even with the best technology, we're still human. That involves me and attracts me more than a perfected (robotic) piece. Just my two cents though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, I have been working on screen casts too and I decided they don't have to be perfect. My students are used to me murdering the English language, so why should my videos be any different! I'm sure your semi-rehearsed versions are good and they get the point across, don't drive yourself crazy! I have posted three screen casts that I have hours in, so I know your pain, but the end is near. All we have left is the fun part of sharing all these great tools with everyone and looking like a genius!

    ReplyDelete