I was not sold on the idea of Google Docs, or other online word processors, until this past week. As the secretary of my parish council, it is my responsibility to take minutes for the monthly church meetings. (Note to self: being secretary is not all that much fun. You don't get to really participate in discussion, because you are so busy writing, or typing.)
But, after this meeting, I was envisioning a time when I could simply write the minutes, and then share them with the other members of the council. It seemed so much easier than sending them out as attachments the night before the next month's meeting. If we had Google Docs, or some other way to share information, people could read them as soon as the meeting was over, and they could add their own notes, or questions.
I thought a lot about how I could use online word processors in class, and I was not completely convinced that they were a necessary tool. But, then, I realized how much my students could use them to collaborate on projects. My seventh graders will be using wikispaces to collaborate next month, but I will have to try using an online word processor for this project in the future.
I was also thinking about the graphics we made last week. My eighth grade students are currently making "Wanted" posters. They need to write a paragraph in English as to why a particular person is "wanted" for a crime, and then describe that person in German. I will have to do a little more investigative work into the graphics programs, but if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them!
I also thought that the history of the internet assignment was interesting. Having been born in 1979, it is hard for me to remember a time when we did not have a computer in our home. So, it was eye-opening to read some of the history behind the creation of the internet, chat, etc.
Side note: Is anyone happy with their ISP? I have been on the phone with Charter multiple times this week, and they offered a temporary fix, but then they failed me yet again. Hence, the late post. If you have an internet service provider that you would recommend, I would love to hear it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We both can commiserate on Charter and our want for service.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like the longer ideas mull in your head the more opportunities you are finding for making them useful and productive. Great idea for the church notes - if your church has a wireless connection you could create and post before you leave.
Your students will enjoy some collaboration opportunities. Keep up the good work