I think that the idea of cloud computing, and using more web-based applications, rather than software that is tied to a specific computer is the wave of the future. As a teacher, I see so many benefits to using a program like GoogleDocs over the Microsoft Office Suite. The fact that information can be stored online, and is thus accessible from any number of locations is tremendous progress. I think that some will be reluctant to switch to completely online storage, but the benefits for collaboration will hopefully outweigh this fear for some.
I was talking to my brother, an engineer for a very large company, about the wikis that I was having my seventh graders create. He said that he was on a team of 10 people who were providing training on wikis and other forms of collaboration to the top 250 partners in his firm. I told him that he should mention my wiki, he politely said that he would skip that detail!
One of our assignments was to use Linux this week, and I have been using a very small laptop that runs Linux. Honestly, I have not noticed a difference in operating systems. I am really only using the computer as a vehicle to get to the internet, therefore the operating system has not affected me. I could use its open office suite, but I already use GoogleDocs, and, I have not had the need to use any other functions in the last handful of days that I have been using the Linux laptop.
However, I do see operating systems changing to meet the improved Web 2.0 tools, and other such programs. I do think that operating sytems will change with the thin clients that are out there. As the server begins to do more and more, the operating system will continue to be more and more simplified.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment