I use the internet on a daily basis, but I have much to learn about the myriad of different ways to use it. Therefore, I am excited to see how this course is going to improve my ability to not only use the internet, but also better instruct my students on using the internet.
One of our assignments for this week was to create a wiki page about ourselves. It is hard to capture my real life awesomeness in a few paragraphs without sounding like one of those personal ads that one finds in the classified section of a newspaper. I wrote the assignment a couple of times, because I thought it sounded a little too over the top. My friend who was grading papers across from me as I was writing was laughing hysterically as I told her "all about me."
Her only comment was that it would be easier if I had kids. Parents can go on and on about their children, she rationalized. No, I do not have any kids, yet. But, if I did, they could have provided me with other things to write about.
Back to this week's class. The assignment on defining internet learning resources was interesting, but I am not sure if those resources also include the applications that one would access, or merely information that is to be found. I also found an interesting article that I could share with my students on how to be better discriminators of information. Seventh graders need all of the help that they can get when it comes to determining the validity of information on the internet. After all, if it is on the internet, it must be true, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Erika,
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you raised the question about whether Internet resources include just the information or also the applications needed to access the information. That's one of the principal distinctions I want all of us to become aware of. In the course we will try to identify a number of the "tools" needed to access, organize and use the information available.