Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Blog 3.....Journal Articles......

I was pleasantly surprised at how interesting the journal articles I found were! Sometimes, it is really easy for me to assume that my students know how to use the Internet, and I forget that I need to teach the technology skills in addition to the content.

One of the articles that I read was about advantages and disadvantages for both instructors and institutions when it came to Internet-based learning environments. It was very insightful to read about the process that colleges and universities would need to go through to start an online program. It caused me to think about what I would need to learn if I were teaching a solely online class.

It also brought up the issue of instructors who are reluctant to use technology in their courses. At my school, we have several staff members who are very set in their ways and reluctant to add technology to their instruction. Not only that, but we are not given much inservice time to learn about technology. This makes little things, like the migration from GroupWise email to Google a huge headache for all of those involved in the technology department. I cannot believe that some of my educated coworkers could not understand how to use Gmail after a 45 minute session on it. If they cannot use Gmail, then how can we get them to use other technology with their students?

I don't know that there is a simple answer to that question. I know that more inservice training will help, but with the huge literacy push going on in our district right now, I don't know that tech will get the time it needs. It would be great if we could integrate technology literacy into the current literacy goal, but I am not sure that the higher ups value technology as much as they ought.

No comments:

Post a Comment