I am really excited about this digital storytelling class. The Presentation Zen book is fabulous! If I follow Reynolds' advice, I think that my presentations will become more streamlined and effective. I have always been someone who loves to talk, and can get off topic easily. The strategies offered in Presentation Zen are already useful to me as I begin to plan for the quickly approaching school year!
VoiceThread is another application that I hope to use in my classroom this year. My freshmen will be doing a project on immigration, and I think that VoiceThread will be an awesome way for them to present their material. I especially like the fact that they can have someone record from the phone. It might be a way that they can get their (great) grandparents to collaborate on their projects!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It will be interesting to see how your district reacts to allowing students to use Voicethread. I know in our school district, I would have to go through a process and get everything cleared for the students to use it. One thing that I do have concern over is the fact that predators out there will have access to student work. I know this is off the extreme end but that is the kind of world we live in today.
ReplyDeleteIf you haven't yet, I would make sure you contact your IT department to see if they will allow you to use the program.
Nick raises an interesting topic that we should raise in class. We're learning all these great resources, but I, too, am wondering about the security issues. I know too having such young students that I may run into some parents getting nervous about all these sites their kids are registering for. I want to use Voicethread as well, but I never thought about the fact that any creep could make lude comments. But then again, isn't there an option to invite only certain users? I'll have to check into this closely.
ReplyDeleteOn the positive side, I also love this class and everything we're learning. I'm a chatter too, so I love the idea of using great images with few words to keep my students' attention and then talking through my notes. I have always felt too tied down when using bullet points because I felt compelled to then read from them. I can see already that not only will my presentations change but that the way I teach Powerpoint will change entirely.