Thursday, April 15, 2010

555 Post #2

My computer was acting a little crazy the other day, and I thought back to how much information I used to store on my computer. During our last class with John, we had to think about what we would lose if we lost everything that was on our computer. So, I was so thankful that I store so much online, and not so much on my computer! My computer ended up being fine, but I was concerned...until I realized that I would not lose all that much. Thanks for the lesson, John!!

My portfolio for this course is still in its infancy. But, I finally feel caught up and think that going back and looking at all of the work I have done will be satisfying. So, I am actually looking forward to remember all of the work that I have put into this program, and realize where I was when I started!

I tweaked my final proposal idea to working with student and staff collaboration. Then, I can add in the Google Apps component that I want to, while focusing on students' building 21st century skills with their peers.

3 comments:

  1. I think looking back at the work I've done and reflecting on it the most satisfying part of creating this portfolio. These blogs have also been useful to find projects and assignments that were meaningful to me. They're helping me with the 'why' part of including articles in my portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point Erika, I have been on the unfortunate end of a busted hard drive. I lost all of my pictures from my study abroad experience in Spain and travels in Europe...ugh! Anyways, it is so nice to have most of our course work saved in such a safe place, Google Docs. I'm excited to see how your project turns out, I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Eirka! I'm loving having everything out there at my disposale and not at home on my hard drive not only for the crash protection but just for the access. Just the other day I was planning on working on homework but had forgotten my laptop at home. In the old days, before Google, that would have meant that I would have to make the extra trip to get my laptop, but not anymore. Now no matter where I am, I can work. This is why I'm giving more consideration to switching my school entirely to Google next year. I know your school district did that. How is it working out?

    In many ways, I feel that my portfolio is also in its beginning stages. I think for me the challenge is getting comfortable with Google Sites. I love working with new applications, but it's totally trial and error with me. I've already had to scrap the one portfolio and create a new one because my links were beyond repair, and I had no idea what the heck I was doing. Live and learn, I guess. And like Danelle, I do like going through everything we've done and pulling it all together into one central location. As much work as it's been, it's been a great experience for me, and I hope someday when things are calm and we're all finished, I'll be able to review the work again and really try to implement a lot of the stuff we've done.

    ReplyDelete